Information about Throat Chakra
The Throat Chakra is your communication center and is the Fifth Chakra. Its Sanskrit name is "Vishuddhi" meaning “the pure place.”
The Throat Chakra is located in the center of your throat near the Adam's Apple. This chakra is linked to our creativity and ability to communicate. The Throat Chakra oversees your ability to make responsible decisions & speak up for yourself. It is also your spiritual voice.
Creative ideas manifest in your life, once they are expressed through speech. The Fifth Chakra helps you convey the truth from your heart & ideas from your mind.
The Throat Chakra is associated with the color sky blue. This chakra is our will center. The healthfulness of the fifth chakra is in relation to how honestly one expresses himself/herself. Lying violates the body & spirit. We speak our choices with our voices (throats). All choices we make in our lives have consequences on an energetic level. Even choosing not to make a choice such as in repressing our anger (not speaking out) may manifest into laryngitis. We have all experienced a lump in our throats when we are at a crossroad of not knowing how to speak the right words in any given situation, perhaps even stuffing our own emotions. Challenges of the Throat Chakra are to express oneself in the most truthful manner, to receive & assimilate information, and to seek only the truth.
Throat Chakra Associations
- Color - blue
- Physical Location - throat, neck region
- Stones & Crystals - Sodalite, Blue Calcite, Blue Kyanite, Angelite, Blue Turquoise
- Associated Endocrine Gland – Thyroid Gland
- Purposes - intuitive knowing, connection to one's spirituality, integration of the whole
- Purposes - learning to take responsibility for ones own needs
- Spiritual Lesson - confession, surrender personal will over to divine will, faith, truthfulness over deceit
- Physical Dysfunctions- sore throat, mouth ulcers, scoliosis, swollen glands, thyroid dysfunctions, laryngitis, voice problems, gum or tooth problems, TMJ
- Mental and Emotional Issues - personal expression, creativity, addiction, criticism, faith, decision making (choices), will, lack of authority
- Information Stored Inside Throat Chakra - self-knowledge, truth, attitudes, hearing, taste, smell
- Area of Body Governed - throat, thyroid, trachea, neck vertebrae, mouth, teeth, gums, esophagus, parathyroid, hypothalamus
The Throat Chakra allows us to communicate our thoughts & feelings. It is directly connected to the ability to express inner creativity. Both teaching & learning are affected by the balance of the Throat Chakra. Some signs that it is out of balance are:
- Difficulty expressing oneself
- Poor learning ability
- Habitual lying
- Fear, doubt, uncertainty
The Throat Chakra is also about self-expression & talking. When it is open, you have no problems expressing yourself & you might even be doing so as an artist. When this chakra is underactive, you tend not to speak much & are probably introverted and shy. Not speaking the truth may block this chakra. If the Throat Chakra is overactive, you tend to speak too much, usually to domineer & keep people at a distance. You’re also a bad listener if this is the case.